St Mary’s PTA Minutes – May 2017

St. Mary’s Parent Teacher Association

Meeting 3rd May 2017 – The White House, 7.00pm

Attendees:

Charlotte Bannon (Chair)
Rachael Birchall (Secretary)
Stephen Jennings (Treasurer)
Mrs Owen
Mrs Smith
Mr McPhillips
Mr O’Connor
Emily Sadler
Jenny Ingram
Pritti Aggarwal
Alison Dobell

Apologies:

Sara Henry
Sarah Adamson
Marianna Gaca
Tim McCarthy

Minutes of the last meeting 

  • The minutes of the last meeting were approved by all present

Actions Outstanding

  • Actions still outstanding have been moved to this month’s task list. Other actions are dealt with under the relevant agenda items

Fun Day

  • The Fun Day will run on the 2nd of July from 12 with the water slide at 4. Mrs Smith will ask Father Michael whether there is any time at which Mass could be held during the day
  • Charlotte will ask Keith whether he would be available again for First Aid cover
  • Displays:
    • Sapphire and the school gymnastics team will perform at 12:30
    • Rachael will ask Lindsay whether the Sea Cadet band is available
  • Enterprise Week:
    • The children from years 1-6 will be taking part in an Enterprise week from the 19th to the 23rd of June. Each child will be given £1 from PTA funds and will work as a class or as groups to increase this by making items to sell at Fun Day. Mr McPhillips will organize the stalls and times for Fun Day
  • Entertainments:
    • Sarah has obtained a quotation for a bouncy castle, slide and Velcro fun run at £300 plus £10 per hour for a staff member. It was agreed to book this with the inflatables to run from 1-3 p.m. with staff
    • Mrs Smith will run a selection of nursery games from 1-3
    • Charlotte will ask Mr Hobson whether Den building will be possible
    • Mr O’Connor may be able to run an obstacle course challenge using the new Roamer Robots
    • The Slippery Pole will run at 3:15
    • The Water Slide will start at 4
    • Charlotte will ask whether any of the emergency services could attend for some part of the day
  • Stalls:
    • Jenny and Alison will organize the stalls in the gym, with a number of volunteer helpers. This will include the cake stall, second hand book and toy stall, 2nd hand uniform shop and 200 club display. Mrs Smith still has a large supply of second hand soft toys which she will give to Jenny
    • Mrs Smith will organize a face painting stall
    • It was decided to run a raffle rather than a tombola. Charlotte will approach Trudie Young to ask if she would be willing to help source prizes and assist with the raffle
    • Bubble wand/gun stall. Stephen and Sarah will look into sourcing up to 100 items for the bubble stall
    • Other stalls could be run if we have enough volunteers, such as splat-the-rat, roll-a-penny, crafts etc.
  • Charlotte will write a communication to all parents including the volunteer sign-up sheet, appeal for the raffle and second hand book and toy store
  • Priiti will write to Mrs Thom to enquire whether any Year 10’s would be available to help on the day
  • Charlotte will ask Kirsty whether she would be able to design tickets and flyers for the event
  • Charlotte will obtain supplies for the bar and BBQ. Rachael will provide a BBQ to use for the vegetarian food. Stephen will get a barrel of beer for the bar
  • Most of the set up will be done on the Saturday
  • An invitation to the event will be extended to all new parents, teachers and the new Head
  • The purpose of the day is to raise money. The entry prices were suggested as £4 for an adult and £2 for a child. This will include the bouncy castles, water slide and slippery pole. All other stalls/ entertainments will have a small charge

Cricket Match

  • A parent vs staff cricket match will be held on the 9th of June between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Pritti has compiled a letter to go out to the whole school and will co-ordinate events with Mr Cheeseman and Mrs Murray
  • The PTA will provide a bar and BBQ. Emily and Jenny have volunteered to help with this
  • The proceeds of the match can be used towards a new battery for the cricket bowling machine

Movie Night

  • It was decided to run the next movie night in the autumn term

Requests for funding

  • There were 5 requests for funding
    1. Mr Cheeseman asked for £200 to provide a battery to enable the new cricket bowling machine to be taken down to the cricket pitch
      • It was decided that the proceeds from the bar and BBQ at the upcoming cricket match could be used to fund this
    2. Mrs Owen asked whether it would be possible to buy 5 new picnic tables for the senior students to use. These were available for £170 in softwood. Charlotte suggested that the recycled plastic benches, while more expensive, would require less maintenance and last for longer. These can be purchased for around £450 and Charlotte will look into sourcing these
      • It was decided that up to £2,500 could be spent on 5 new picnic benches, using recycled plastic if possible
    3. Miss Tomkins had written to the PTA asking for a contribution towards purchasing a new electric piano as the one she currently uses had broken
      • It was decided to spend up to £400 on a new electric piano
    4. Mr McPhillips asked whether we could contribute towards a new class set of headphones for use with the computers
    5. Mr McPhillips asked whether whether we could purchase new sets of atlases for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2
      • It was decided to donate up to £500 for items 4 and 5

Constitution

  • Charlotte and Rachael will finalise the constitution for the next meeting

Finances

  • The bar at the Prep school play made £346.60
  • Current account: £6,765.13
  • Deposit account: £461.82
  • Paypal: £858.87
  • Petty Cash: £10.40
  • Outstanding Cheques: £189.00
  • Total: £7,907.22

200 Club

  • It was decided that a confirmation letter will be sent out to people when they join the 200 Club to confirm their membership and their number. Charlotte will draft a letter.
  • April Draw
    • 1 – Stringfellow
    • 2 – Birchall
    • 3 – Hollingdale
  • May Draw
    • 1 – T Young
    • 2 – J Long
    • 3 – Ayres

AoB

  • Mr O’Connor has received the Roamer Robots that the PTA contributed towards. He demonstrated their uses and the different programming boards that could be used with them. He also showed us how they can be used to lead into computer programming and the children investigating and developing their programming skills
  • Mr McPhillips asked whether the PTA could develop some ideas for an event at the end of term to mark the retirement of 4 members of staff. The PTA agreed to discuss this and come back to the school with some ideas
  • Alison is now responsible for the second hand uniform shop. The shop needs to be publicized as much as possible and parents encouraged to use it to both buy and sell uniform. It was decided to put adverts for the shop in both the newsletter and the programme for Fun Day
  • We have not heard back from the people that did the playground and gym markings which seem to be substandard. Mrs Smith will chase them and see what reply we can get
  • Jenny mentioned that whilst Father Michael is still taking many informal photographs around the school, we need a new method of distributing these to parents. It was agreed that these photos are very much enjoyed by all the students and parents and that they provide a wonderful archive for the school. Mrs Owen stated that the Wizard of Oz rehearsal photos would be distributed on a google drive for parents to request and that if this proves successful that this may be one way to distribute the photographs
  • Mrs Owen asked whether the planned meeting on the 5th of July was going ahead as there was a timetable clash. It was agreed that there was no need for a meeting in the last week of term and the meeting was cancelled

Date of Next Meeting

  • 7/6/17

 

Task List

  • Charlotte

Look into securing bar area

Check whether we can run Den building and the water slide at Fun Day

Ask Kirsty if she is able to design the poster and tickets for Fun Day

Finalize constitution with Rachael

Design a booking sheet for the popcorn machine

Ask Keith whether he can cover First Aid at Fun Day

Ask Mr Hobson whether he will be able to run Den building

Find out whether the fire/police/ambulance would be able to attend

Write a Fun Day letter to include a volunteer sign-up sheet, appeal for the raffle and second hand book and toy store

Purchase food and drink for Fun Day

Look into sources for recycled plastic picnic benches

Draft a 200 Club confirmation letter

Talk to school about ideas for an end of term retirement event

  • Stephen

Provide 100 £1 coins for the School Enterprise week

Source up to 100 bubble items for the bubble stall

Procure a barrel of beer for the bar

  • Rachael

Look into movie licences

Finalise constitution

Design a PTA handout

Compile a new newsletter

Ask Lindsay whether the Sea Cadet band is available

Provide BBQ for vegetarian food at the cricket match and fun day

  • Mrs Smith

Ask Father Michael whether any Mass will be possible on Fun Day

Give Soft toys to Jenny

Organise a selection of nursery games for Fun Day

Organise a face painting stall for Fun Day

Chase up the playground marking and gym marking company

  • Pritti

Organise cricket match with Mr Cheeseman and Mrs Murray

  • Sarah

Book inflatable entertainments with staff

  • Mr O’Connor

Design an obstacle course challenge using the Roamer Robots for Fun Day

  • Jenny

Organise indoor stalls in the gym

Help run the bar and BBQ at the cricket match

  • Alison

Organise indoor stalls in the gym

Design a uniform shop leaflet

  • Emily

Help run the bar and BBQ at the cricket match

 

A PDF copy of these minutes can be found on our Parents Association page, along with all the information about the SMPTA.

If you have any ideas or suggestions for the SMPTA please leave them in the comment section below!