fbpx Skip to content

Tier 4 – Child Student Visas

Tier 4 application information 

Child Student Visa

To be able to apply for you to be granted a Tier 4 child Visa you will have to pay the school an administration fee of £50 which is a non refundable and a £21 CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) charge per child. This must be paid in advance before we proceed:


 We will need to know or see:

  • Colour copies of your child’s passport and also yours as parents/guardians.
  • Copies of their last two school reports translated in to English.
  • How long you intend for your child to study at our school. (dates)
  • The name and address of the person you will be living with in Southampton or the address of the property you will be renting/buying.

If you are using an agent to process your Tier 4 application we will require their name, address and email address. If you are in Southampton before your child is due to join our school the best way to proceed is for you to come in to meet the Executive Head Teacher and to see the school at a mutually agreeable appointment time.

The Border Agency will need to see proof of how you are able to fund our School fees as we are an Independent school.  Our Independent School fees are reviewed annually and for the academic year 2019/20 are set at £10,200 per year for the Senior department, and £7,850 per year for the Prep and Nursery departments.

If you have any more questions then please do not hesitate to contact the school office. 

Further information

You can apply for the Tier 4 (Child) student visa if you’re aged between 4 and 17 and you want to study at an independent school in the UK.

You must also:

**There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.

How long it will take 

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before you start your course.

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks. You can check visa processing times for your country.


It costs £348 to apply for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa from outside the UK.

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

How long you can stay

Your age and the length of your course of study will affect how long you can stay.

Age when you apply How long you can stay
Under 16 Course length (up to 6 years) plus 4 months afterwards
16 or 17 Course length (up to 3 years) plus 4 months afterwards

You can arrive in the UK:

  • up to 1 week before your course starts if your course lasts 6 months or less
  • up to 1 month before your course starts if your course lasts more than 6 months

What you can and cannot do

You can:

You can also work, if you’re 16 or over:

  • part-time during term for up to 10 hours per week
  • full-time during vacations
  • on a work placement as part of your course (but not for more than 50% of your course time)
  • as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years

You cannot:

  • study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school) or further education college
  • get public funds
  • take a full-time permanent job or be self-employed
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training
  • work as a professional sportsperson (for example a sports coach) or entertainer
  • settle in the UK on this visa
  • bring in family members (‘dependants’) – if your parents want to accompany you, they’ll need to apply for a Parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa

For further information, prior to your application to the school, please follow the Gov.uk link here.